Keynote Address at the 2004 Democratic National Convention | July 27, 2004

On behalf of the great state of Illinois, crossroads of a nation, land of Lincoln, let me express my deep gratitude for the privilege of addressing this convention. Tonight is a particular honor for me because, let's face it, my presence on this stage is pretty unlikely. My father was a foreign student, born and raised in a small village in Kenya. He grew up herding goats, went to school in a tin-roof shack. His father, my grandfather, was a cook, a domestic servant to the british.

교통의 중심, 링컨의 고향인 일리노이주를 대표하여 오늘 전당대회에 연설할 수 있는 특권을 주신데 대해 깊은 감사를 드리고자 합니다. 오늘밤은 제에게 매우 특별한 영광입니다. 왜냐하면 솔직히 말해서 제가 이 자리에 설 가능성은 매우 낮기 때문입니다. 나의 아버지는 케냐의 조그마한 마을에서 태어나고 거기서 자란 외국인 유학생이었습니다. 그는 염소를 치면서 자랐고 양철지붕의 판잣집 학교를 다녔습니다. 그의 아버지, 제 할아버지는 요리사이자 영국인 하인이었습니다.

But my grandfather had larger dreams for his son. Through hard work and perseverance my father got a scholarship to study in a magical place: America, that shone as a beacon of freedom and opportunity to so many who had come before. While studying here, my father met my mother. She was born in a town on the other side of the world, in Kansas. Her father worked on oil rigs and farms through most of the Depression. The day after Pearl Harbor my grandfather signed up for duty, joined Patton's army and marched across Europe. Back home, my grandmother raised their baby and went to work on a bomber assembly line. After the war, they studied on the GI Bill, bought a house through FHA, and later moved west all the way  to Hawaii in search of opportunity.

나의 할아버지는 아들에 대한 더 큰 꿈을 가졌습니다. 아버지는 불굴의 노력과 끈기를 발휘하여 신비의 땅 미국에서 장학금을 받고 공부하였습니다. 미국은 먼저 온 많은 사람들에게는 자유와 기회의 횟불처럼 빛났습니다. 아버지는 미국에서 공부하는 도중 어머니를 만났습니다. 그녀는 아버지와는 다른 곳인 켄자스의 도시에서 태어났습니다. 그녀의 아버지는 대공황 중에는 대부분 석유굴착장과 농장에서 일했습니다. 진주만 공습 다음날 입대하여 패턴부대에 합류하여 유럽전역을 진군했습니다. 집에 남아있는 외할머니는 아기들을 양육했고 폭격기 조립공장에 나가 일했습니다. 전쟁이 끝난후 외조부모는 제대군인 원호법에 의거 공부를 했고 연방주택국을 통해서 집 한채도 샀으며 후에 먼길을 무릅쓰고 기회를 찾아 서부 하와이까지 이주했습니다.

And they, too, had big dreams for their daughter, a common dream, born of two continents. My parents shared not only an improbable love; they shared an abiding faith in the possibilities of this nation. They would give me an African name, Barack, or "blessed," believing that in a tolerant America your name is no barrier to success. They imagined me going to the best schools in the land, even though they weren't rich, because in a generous America you don't have to be rich to achieve your potential. They are both passed away now. and Yet, I know that, on this night, they look down on me with great pride.

조부모님은 역시 딸에게 큰 꿈을 가지고 있었습니다. 그 꿈은 두 대륙에서 함께 키운 꿈입니다. 나의 부모님께서 함께 나눈 것은 믿기 어려운 사랑뿐만이 아닙니다. 이 나라의 가능성에 대한 변치 않는 믿음도 함께 공유했습니다. 부모님은 제게 은총이란 뜻의 “버락”이라는 아프리카식 이름을 지어 주었습니다. 모든 것이 용납되는 관대한 미국에서는 네 이름이 성공에 장애물이 되지 않는다고 믿으셨기 때문입니다. 부모님은 부자가 아니지만 제일 좋은 학교에 다닐 수 있다고 생각했습니다. 왜냐하면 관대한 미국에서는 부자가 아니라도 잠재력을 발휘 할 수 있기 때문입니다.  지금 두 분은 돌아 가셨지만 오늘밤 자랑스럽게 나를 내려다 보고 계신다는 것을 알고 있습니다.

They stand here, I stand here today, grateful for the diversity of my heritage, aware that my parents' dreams live on in my two precious daughters. I stand here knowing that my story is part of the larger American story, that I owe a debt to all of those who came before me, and that, in no other country on earth, is my story even possible. Tonight, we gather to affirm the greatness of our nation, not because of the height of our skyscrapers, or the power of our military, or the size of our economy. Our pride is based on a very simple premise, summed up in a declaration made over two hundred years ago, "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal. That they are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights. That among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness."

제가 물려 받은 다양성의 유산에 감사하는 마음으로 오늘 이 자리에 선 저는 저의 부모님들의 꿈이 저의 귀한 딸들에게 여전히 이어지고 있다는 것을 알게 됩니다. 이 자리에 선 저는 저의 이야기는 미국 전체 역사의 흐름의 일부분이고 저보다 먼저 이땅에 온 선조들의 덕분임과 지구상의 어느 나라에서도 제가 이 자리에 서기까지의 과정은 불가능하다는 것을 알고 있습니다.  오늘밤 우리는 우리나라의 위대함을 확인하기 위하여 모였지만 그것은 고층빌딩의 높이, 군사력, 경제규모 때문이 아닙니다. 우리의 자부심은 200년전에 독립선언서에 요약된 매우 단순한 전제에 근거합니다. “우리는 다음과 같은 진리를 자명한 것으로 간직한다. 즉 모든 사람은 평등하게 태어났다는 것. 창조주에 의하여 양도할 수 없는 권리를 부여받았다는 것. 그중에는 생명, 자유 그리고 행복추구가 있다는 것”.

That is the true genius of America, a faith in the simple dreams of its people, the insistence on small miracles; That we can tuck in our children at night and know they are fed and clothed and safe from harm; That we can say what we think, write what we think, without hearing a sudden knock on the door; That we can have an idea and start our own business without paying a bribe; That we can participate in the political process without fear of retribution, and that our votes will be counted at least most of the time.

이것이야 말로 미국의 진정한 능력입니다. 믿음, 우리는 밤에 아이들에게 이불을 덮어 주면서 아이들이 잘 먹고 잘 입고 위험으로부터 안전하다고 알게 되는 것. 무런 위협없이 우리는 생각하는 것을 말 할 수 있고 생각하는 것을 글로 쓸수 있다는 것. 우리는 뇌물을 제공하지 않고도 사업을 구상하고 시작 할 수 있다는 것. 우리는 보복의 두려움 없이 정치과정에 참여 할 수 있다는 것. 우리의 투표가 중요한 가치가 있다는 것 등등의 단순한 꿈에 대한 믿음, 신념 작은 기적들에 대한 주장이야 말로 미국의 진정한 능력입니다.

This year, in this election, we are called to reaffirm our values and commitments, to hold them against a hard reality and see how we are measuring up to the legacy of our forbearers and the promise of future generations. And fellow Americans - Democrats, Republicans, Independents - I say to you tonight: we have more work to do. More to do for the workers I met in Galesburg, Illinois, who are losing their union jobs at the Maytag plant that's moving to Mexico, and now are having to compete with their own children for jobs that pay seven bucks an hour. More to do for the father I met who was losing his job and choking back tears, wondering how he would pay $4,500 a month for the drugs his son needs without the health benefits he counted on. More to do for the young woman in East St. Louis, and thousands more like her, who has the grades, has the drive, has the will, but doesn't have the money to go to college.

올해 이번 선거에서 우리는 우리의 가치와 공약을 다시한번 확인하고, 이것들을 어려운 현실로부터 지켜내기 위하여 여기 소집되었습니다. 그리고 조상들이 남긴유상과 미래세대의 희망에 우리가 얼마나 잘 부합하고 있는지 알게 될 것입니다. 친애하는 국민여러분 - 민주당원, 공화당원, 무소속 지지자들 - 오늘밤 저는 여러분에게 호소합니다. 우리는 할 일이 많습니다. 일리노이주 게일스버그에서 만난 노동자들을 위해서 할 일이 많습니다. 그는 메이텍 공장이 멕시코로 이전함에 따라 일터를 잃게 되었고, 지금은 한 시간에 7달러를 주는 일자리를 놓고 자신의 자녀들과 경쟁을 벌이는 상황이 되었습니다. 내가 만난 아버지를 위해서도 할 일이 많습니다. 그는 일자리를 잃어 눈물을 참고 있으며, 기대했던 건강보험 혜택도 못받는데 아들이 필요로 하는 한 달에 4,500달러의 약값을 어떻게 지불할 지를 걱정하고 있습니다. 동부 세인트루이스의 한 젊은 여성과 그녀와 같은 처지의 수천명 이상의 여성을 위해서도 할 일이 많습니다. 그녀는 성적도 좋고 의욕도 있고 의지도 있는데 돈이 없어 대학에 가질 못합니다.

Don't get me wrong. The people I meet in small towns and big cities, in diners and office parks, they don't expect government to solve all their problems. They know they have to work hard to get ahead and they want to. Go into the collar counties around Chicago, and people will tell you they don't want their tax money wasted by a welfare agency or by the Pentagon. Go into any inner city neighborhood, and folks will tell you that government alone can't teach our kids to learn. They know that parents have to teach, that children can't achieve unless we raise their expectations and turn off the television sets and eradicate the slander that says a black youth with a book is acting white. They know those things. People don't expect government to solve all their problems. But they sense, deep in their bones, that with just a slight change in priorities, we can make sure that every child in America has a decent shot at life, and that the doors of opportunity remain open to all. They know we can do better. And they want that choice.

나를 오해는 마세요. 소도시와 대도시에서, 식당과 복합상업지구에서 내가 만난 사람들은 정부가 자신들의 모든 문제를 해결 할 것이라고 기대하지 않습니다. 그들은 남보다 앞서 나갈려면 열심히 일해야 한다는 것을 잘 알고 있습니다. 그리고 앞서 나가기를 원합니다. 시카고 주변의 칼라 카운티에 들어가 보세요, 이곳 사람들은 자기들이 낸 세금이 복지비나 국방비로 낭비되지 않기를 바랍니다. 도시 안으로 들어가 보세요, 이곳 사람들은 정부 단독으로 아이들을 교육시킬 수 없다고 말 할 것이다. 그들은 부모들이 가르쳐야 한다고 알고 있고, 자녀들의 기대수준을 높이지 않고서는, TV를 끄지 않고서는, 책을 들고 있는 흑인 젊은이가 백인 행세를 하고 있다는 비방을 근절하지 않고서는 성취 할 수 없다는 것도 알고 있다. 국민들은 정부가 그들의 모든 문제를 해결 할 것이라고 기대하지 않습니다. 그러나 정부 정책의 우선순위를 조금만 바꿔도 우리 아이들이 품격 있는 인생을 살아갈 수 있고, 모든 사람들에게 새로운 기회가 주어질 수 있다는 것을 뼛속 깊이 본능적으로 알고 있습니다. 선택만 제대로 한다면, 우리는 분명 보다 잘 해나갈 수 있습니다.

In this election, we offer that choice. Our party has chosen a man to lead us who embodies the best this country has to offer. That man is John Kerry. John Kerry understands the ideals of community, faith, and sacrifice, because they've defined his life. From his heroic service in Vietnam to his years as prosecutor and lieutenant governor, through two decades in the United States Senate, he has devoted himself to this country. Again and again, we've seen him make tough choices when easier ones were available. His values and his record affirm what is best in us.

이번 선거에서 우리는 그런 선택을 제안합니다. 우리당은 이 나라가 제공할 수 있는 최고의 것을 구현할 수 있도록 우리를 이끌 한 사람의 선택을 마쳤습니다. 그 사람은 잔 케리입니다. 잔 케리는 공동체의 이상과 신앙, 봉사를 이해합니다. 왜냐하면 이것들이 그의 생애를 정의해 왔기 때문입니다.  베트남에서의 그의 영웅적 활동으로 부터 검사와 부주지사 생활에 이르기까지. 또 미연방상원에서의 20년생활을 통해, 그는 이 나라에 그 자신을 헌신했습니다. 우리는 몇 번이나 그가 쉬운 선택이 가능했을 때도 어려운 선택을 하는 것을 보아 왔습니다. 그의 가치와 과거 기록들은 우리에게 무엇이 최상인가를 확인시켜 줍니다.

John Kerry believes in an America where hard work is rewarded. So instead of offering tax breaks to companies shipping jobs overseas, he'll offer them to companies creating jobs here at home. John Kerry believes in an America where all Americans can afford the same health coverage our politicians in Washington have for themselves. John Kerry believes in energy independence, so we aren't held hostage to the profits of oil companies or the sabotage of foreign oil fields. John Kerry believes in the constitutional freedoms that have made our country the envy of the world, and he will never sacrifice our basic liberties nor use faith as a wedge to divide us. And John Kerry believes that in a dangerous world, war must be an option sometimes, but it should never be the first option.

잔 케리는 열심히 일하는 사람이 보상을 받는 미국을 믿습니다. 그래서 세금혜택을 일자리를 해외로 쫒아내는 기업이 아니라 국내에서의 고용 창출을 하는 기업에게 제공합니다. 잔 케리는 워싱턴 정치가들 만이 누리는 수준의 의료보장을 모든 미국인이 누릴 수 있는 국가라고 믿습니다. 잔 케리는 에너지 독립을 믿습니다. 그래서 우리는 석유회사의 이익이나 외국 유전의 생산방해에 볼모가 되지는 않을 겁니다. 잔 케리는 미국을 세계가 부러워하는 나라로 만들어 주는 헌법적 자유를 믿습니다. 그리고 그는 우리의 기본적인 자유를 희생시키거나 신앙을 우리를 분열시키는 쐐기로 활용하지도 않을 것입니다. 잔 케리는 위험한 세상에서 전쟁은 가끔 어쩔수 없는 선택이 되어야 하지만 결코 첫 번째 선택이 되어서는 안된다고 믿습니다.

A while back, I met a young man named Shamus at the VFW Hall in East Moline, Illinois. He was a good-looking kid, six-two or six-three, clear-eyed, with an easy smile. He told me he'd joined the Marines and was heading to Iraq the following week. As I listened to him explain why he'd enlisted, the absolute faith he had in our country and its leaders, his devotion to duty and service, I thought this young man was all any of us might hope for in a child. But then I asked myself: Are we serving Shamus as well as he was serving us? I thought of 900 men and women, sons and daughters, husbands and wives, friends and neighbors, who won’t be returning to their hometowns. I thought of families I had met who were struggling to get by without a loved one's full income, or whose loved ones had returned with a limb missing or with nerves shattered, but who still lacked long-term health benefits because they were reservists. When we send our young men and women into harm's way, we have a solemn obligation not to fudge the numbers or shade the truth about why they're going, to care for their families while they're gone, to tend to the soldiers upon their return, and to never ever go to war without enough troops to win the war, secure the peace, and earn the respect of the world.

얼마전 나는 일리노이주의 이스트 멀린에 있는 해외참전용사회 회관에서 샤무스라는 이름의 청년을 만났습니다. 188 에서 192 cm 정도의 키에 맑은 눈과 웃음이 여유있는 잘 생긴 아이었습니다. 그는 해병대에 입대하여 다음 주에 이라크로 떠난다고 말했습니다. 그가 말하는 입대동기와 그리고 조국과 지도자에 대한 확고한 신뢰, 헌신적인 직무와 봉사에 대한 설명을 들으면서 나는 이 젊은이가 우리들이 어렸을 적에 누구나 되기를 원했던 바로 그 사람이었다고 생각했습니다. 그때 나는 나 자신에게 "그가 우리에게 잘 봉사하듯이 우리는 샤무스에게 봉사를 잘 하는가?" 라고 물었습니다. 나는 고향으로 돌아 갈 수 없는 900 명의 남녀 -아들과 딸들, 남편과 아내들, 친구와 이웃들- 를 생각했습니다. 내가 만나본 가족들을 나는 생각한다. 그들은 사랑하는 사람의 뚜렷한 수입 없이도 살아 갈려고 애쓰고 있으며, 또는 사랑하는 사람이 한쪽 다리를 잃었거나 신경쇠약이 되어 돌아 왔는데도 그들이 예비역 이라는 이유로 장기 의료혜택을 여전히 보지 못하는 사람들입니다. 우리가 우리의 젊은 남녀를 위험한 길로 보낼때 숫자를 속이거나 그들이 진정 가야하는 이유를 감추지 말아야 하며, 그들이 파병되어 있는 동안 그들의 가족들을 돌보아 주어야 하며, 군인들의 귀환을 배려해야 하며, 전쟁에 승리하고 평화를 보장하고 세계의 존경을 확보할 충분한 군대가 없으면 결코 전쟁을 벌이지 말아야 할 신성한 의무를 우리는 가지고 있습니다.

Now let me be clear. We have real enemies in the world. These enemies must be found. They must be pursued and they must be defeated. John Kerry knows this. And just as Lieutenant Kerry did not hesitate to risk his life to protect the men who served with him in Vietnam, President Kerry will not hesitate one moment to use our military might to keep America safe and secure. John Kerry believes in America. And he knows that it's not enough for just some of us to prosper. For alongside our famous individualism, there's another ingredient in the American saga.

명확히 해 두겠습니다. 우리는 세계에 현실적 적들을 가지고 있습니다. 이러한 적들은 찾아내야 합니다. 그들을 추적하여 무찔러야 합니다. 잔 케리는 이것을 알고 있습니다. 케리대위가 월남에서 그와 함께 복무하던 사람을 보호하기 위하여 자신의 생명을 거는 것을 주저하지 않았던 것처럼 케리 대통령도 미국의 안전과 안보를 지키기 위하여 우리들의 군사력을 사용하는 것을 한 순간도 주저하지 않을 것입니다. 잔 케리는 미국을 믿습니다. 그리고 우리들 일부만이 번영해서는 충분하지 않다는 것을 알고 있습니다. 미국의 전설 속에는 유명한 개인주의와 함께 또다른 구성요소가 있습니다.

A belief that we are connected as one people. If there's a child on the south side of Chicago who can't read, that matters to me, even if it's not my child. If there's a senior citizen somewhere who can't pay for her prescription drugs, and having to choose between medicine and the rent, that makes my life poorer, even if it's not my grandmother. If there's an Arab American family being rounded up without benefit of an attorney or due process, that threatens my civil liberties. It's that fundamental belief - I am my brother's keeper, I am my sister's keeper - that makes this country work. It's what allows us to pursue our individual dreams, yet still come together as a single American family. "E pluribus unum." Out of many, one.

우리는 모두 한 사람인 것처럼 서로 관계를 맺고 있다는 믿음입니다. 만약 시카고 남단에 글을 읽을 수 없는 아이가 있다면 내 아이가 아니더라도 저의 문제입니다. 만약 어딘가에 살고있는 노인이 약값을 내지 못해서 약값과 집세사이에서 고민하고 있다면 그 분이 저의 조부모님이 아니라고 하더라도 제 삶은 더 가난해집니다. 만약 어느 아랍계 미국인 가족이 변호사도 선임하지 못한 채로 적법 절차 없이 체포된다면, 그 사건은 제 시민권을 위협하는 것입니다. 가장 기본적인 믿음, 즉 나는 형제 자매의 보호자, 이 나라를 효율적으로 작동하게 만듭니다. 이 믿음은 우리 개인의 이상을 추구하게 하고, 여전히 미국을 하나의 단일 가족처럼 단합시킵니다. 여러개로 이루진 하나

Now even as we speak, there are those who are preparing to divide us, the spin masters and negative ad peddlers who embrace the politics of “anything goes”. Well, I say to them tonight, there's not a liberal America and a conservative America - there's the United States of America. There's not a black America and white America and Latino America and Asian America; there's the United States of America. The pundits like to slice-and-dice our country into Red States and Blue States; Red States for Republicans, Blue States for Democrats. But I've got news for them, too. We worship an awesome God in the Blue States, and we don't like federal agents poking around our libraries in the Red States. We coach Little League in the Blue States and yes, we've got some gay friends in the Red States. There are patriots who opposed the war in Iraq and patriots who supported war in Iraq. We are one people, all of us pledging allegiance to the stars and stripes, all of us defending the United States of America.

우리가 이렇게 말하는 지금도 우리를 갈라 놓을려는 사람들이 있으니, 정보 조작의 명수, 부정적 선전물을 퍼뜨리는 사람들, 그들은 정치란 “무슨 짓을 해도 상관없다”라고 알고 있습니다. 오늘밤 나는 그들에게 말합니다. 진보의 미국, 보수의 미국이 따로 있는 것이 아닙니다. 오직 하나의 미합중국만이 있을 뿐입니다. 흑인의 미국도, 백인의 미국도, 라틴계 미국도, 아시아계 미국도 없습니다. 오직 미합중국만이 존재할 뿐입니다. 이른바 전문가라는 사람들이 이 나라를 붉은색과 푸른색으로 편가르고 주사위 놀이를 하고 있습니다. 붉은 주는 공화당, 푸른색 주는 민주당. 그러나 그들에게 제가 해주고 싶은 말이 있습니다. 우리는 푸른색 주의 경이로운 신을 모십니다. 그래서 우리는 붉은색 주에 위치한 우리 도서관을 뒤지는 연방수사관이 싫습니다. 우리는 푸른색 주에서 소년야구리그를 지도합니다. 예, 그래요, 우리는 붉은색 주에 우리의 동성애 친구가 있답니다. 이라크전쟁에 반대하는 애국자도 있고, 이라크전쟁을 지지하는 애국자도 있습니다. 우리는 한 국민입니다. 우리는 모두 성조기 앞에서 조국에 대한 충성을 다짐합니다. 우리는 모두 미합중국을 수호하는 것입니다.

In the end, that's what this election is about. Do we participate in a politics of cynicism or do we participate a politics of hope? John Kerry calls on us to hope. John Edwards calls on us to hope. I'm not talking about blind optimism here - the almost willful ignorance that thinks unemployment will go away if we just don't talk about it, or the health care crisis will solve itself if we just ignore it. That's not what I'm  talking about. I'm talking about something more substantial. It's the hope of slaves sitting around a fire singing freedom songs; the hope of immigrants setting out for distant shores; the hope of a young naval lieutenant bravely patrolling the Mekong Delta; the hope of a millworker's son who dares to defy the odds; the hope of a skinny kid with a funny name who believes that America has a place for him, too. hope in the face of difficulty, hope in the face of uncertainty. The audacity of hope!

따지고 보면 이 선거의 목적도 바로 그것입니다. 우리는 냉소주의의 정치에 참여하고 있습니까, 아니면 희망의 정치에 참여하고 있습 니까?  잔 케리는 우리에게 희망을 호소하고 있습니다. 잔 에드워드는 우리에게 희망을 호소하고 있습니다. 저는 지금 맹목적 낙관주의를 말하는 게 아닙니다. 맹목적 낙관주의란 우리가 실업에 대해서 이야기 하지 않으면 실업이 없어질 것이고, 의료위기도 우리가 그것을 무시하면 해결 될 것이라고 믿는 거의 의도적인 무시를 말합니다. 제가 말하는 것은 그것이 아니고 더욱 실질적인 문제입니다. 그것은 모닥불에 둘러앉아 자유의 노래를 부르던 노예들의 희망, 머나먼 땅을 향해 출발하던 이주민들의 희망, 메콩강 삼각주를 용감하게 정찰하던 젊은 해군 대위의 희망, 과감하게 가능성에 도전하는 공장 노동자 아들의 희망, 미국이 자신의 나라이기도 하다고 생각했던 ‘버락’이라는 우스꽝스러운 이름을 가진 말라깽이 꼬마의 희망 말입니다. 어려움에 직면했을 때 의 희망, 불확실성에 직면했을 때의 희망, 담대한 희망!

In the end, that is God's greatest gift to us, the bedrock of this nation; a belief in things not seen; a belief that there are better days ahead. I believe we can give our middle class relief and provide working families with a road to opportunity. I believe we can provide jobs to the jobless, homes to the homeless, and reclaim young people in cities across America from violence and despair. I believe that we have a righteous wind at our backs and that as we stand on the crossroads of history, we can make the right choices, and meet the challenges that face us.

결국 그것이 바로 신께서 우리에게 주신 가장 큰 선물이며, 이 나라의 토대입니다. 보이지 않는 것에 대한 믿음, 보다 좋은 날이 올 것이라는 믿음 말입니다. 우리는 중산층에게 위안을 일하는 가정에게 기회의 길을 제공할수 있다고 나는 믿습니다. 우리는 실직자에게 직업을 무주택자에게 집을 제공하고, 전국의 도시에 있는 젊은이들을 폭력과 절망으로부터 선도할 수 있다고 나는 믿습니다. 저는 우리들이 순풍을 받고 있고 우리는 역사의 기로에 서 있지만 우리는 옳은 선택을 할 수 있고 우리가 직면한 난관을 헤처나 갈 수 있다고 믿습니다.

America!  Tonight, if you feel the same energy that I do, the same urgency that I do, the same passion that I do, the same hopefulness that I do - if we do what we must do, then I have no doubt that all across the country, from Florida to Oregon, from Washington to Maine, the people will rise up in November, and John Kerry will be sworn in as president, and John Edwards will be sworn in as vice president, and this country will reclaim its promise, and out of this long political darkness a brighter day will come. Thank you very much. everybody.

God bless you. thank you.

미국 국민여러분! 오늘밤, 여러분들도 저처럼 의기충전하고, 저처럼 절박하고, 저처럼 열정적이고, 저처럼 희망에 차 있다면, 우리가 해야 할 일을 한다면, 그땐  전국적으로 확실히 플로리다주에서 오리건주 까지, 워싱턴주에서 메인주까지, 11월에 국민들이 들고 일어나  잔 케리 후보가 대통령에 취임하게 될 것이고, 존 에드워드 후보가 부통령에 취임하게 될 것입니다. 그리고 미국의 전망도 개선될 것이며 이 지루한 정치적 암흑기를 벗어나 밝은 날이 올 것입니다. 감사합니다. 여러분에게 신의 은총을 기원합니다.

이 게시물을..